Grilled Watermelon Salad
Here's a recipe for a perfect hot summer salad off the grill.
- Watermelon, of course! Look for a fairly large watermelon to make this recipe. You’ll want to be able to cut a few 1 1/2-inch-thick slabs out of the center. Then, you’ll slice the slabs into wedges to grill.
- Fresh corn – You’ll use raw corn here – no cooking required! Straight off the cob, it creates a sweet, crispy topping for the grilled watermelon steaks.
- Red bell pepper – It adds color and crunch.
- Red onion and garlic – For sharp depth of flavor.
- Green Tabasco Sauce – It gives the topping plenty of tang and a little heat. If you don’t have Green Tabasco on hand, lime juice and diced jalapeño will work fine in its place.
- Feta cheese – I love how its tangy flavor accents the sweet watermelon and corn.
- Avocado – For a creamy contrast to the crisp veggies.
- Basil and mint – Whatever you do, don’t skip them! Their fresh summer flavor takes this dish over the top.
To make this recipe, start by mixing up the topping. Finely dice the red bell pepper and onion so that they’re about the same size as the corn kernels. Then, stir together the fresh corn, bell pepper, onion, garlic, and Green Tabasco Sauce. Season it with salt, and pop it in the fridge until you’re ready to eat.
While the topping chills, grill the watermelon! Place the wedges on the hot grill and cook for 2-3 minutes per side, or until grill marks form.
Remove the watermelon from the heat, and let it cool for a few minutes while you crumble the feta and dice the avocado. Finally, top the grilled watermelon with the corn mixture, feta, avocado, and herbs. Enjoy!