Let’s stop for a second, before we make the fire place roar - we need to make sure we do our proper gas fireplace maintenance to get us out of these frigid temperatures into that relaxing comfort that our gas fire place has brought to us over the years. We all know that it can bring us great enjoyment and relaxation, but how do we take care of a gas fireplace? Here are our recommendations at Patio Palace for easy gas fireplace maintenance so we keep that fire place running smoothly.
1. Clean your unit’s glass on both sides with a specific fire place glass cleaner. Do not use ammonia based products as that will deteriorate the glass. This will help prevent the glass from becoming cloudy. If left unclean for a long period of time, this cloudy effect may become a permanent quality of the glass, preventing you from enjoying the full effect of your fire.
2. While the glass door is opened, this is a good time to check and see if there is any dust, dirt, or spider-web build-up inside your fireplace. Take the time to clean whatever you see so keep the unit running smoothly.
3. Depending on the age of the fireplace, now is a good time to check the door and its surroundings. Make sure the glass door is fit securely, especially on older units.
4. Check if the gasket is cracked or is missing pieces. The gasket should be located either on the glass door or outside around the firebox. Check your owner’s manual for the exact location. If the gasket is damaged in any way, it should be replaced immediately.
5. Finally, if your gas fireplace is vented, check your unit's outside vent. Scan and see if there is any debris (like leaves or nests) in or around the vent. If you do find something, carefully remove the debris to be sure that your fireplace runs smoothly. If the vent is damaged, be sure to replace or repair it.
6. If the units have any remotes that help them to function this is the time to replace the batteries, in both the remote and the receiver. The how to’s should be in your manual.
There you have it – 6 easy gas fireplace maintenance tips that are sure to have you relaxing in comfort with your mug of hot cocoa in no time.
I really can't stay - Baby it's cold outside
I've got to go away - Baby it's cold outside
This evening has been - Been hoping that you'd drop in
So very nice - I'll hold your hands, they're just like ice
My mother will start to worry - Beautiful, what's your hurry?
Father will be pacing the floor - Listen to the fireplace roar
P.S. If it’s time for a new gas fireplace - Patio Palace offers a variety of amazing options from brand names such as Valor, Dimplex and Napoleon for any room of your home. We have two locations for your convenience – Windsor, Ontario and London, Ontario. Call us with any questions!