6 - 8 PEOPLE
22 - 24 MINS
- 4 teaspoons minced canned chipotle chile peppers in adobo sauce
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 16 chicken wings, about 2½ pounds total, each one cut in half at the joint, wing tips removed and discarded
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, grated or minced
- 4 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 2½ teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup crumbled blue cheese
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon buttermilk
- ½ teaspoon cider vinegar
- In a large bowl combine the paste ingredients. Add the wings and stir to coat them all over with the paste. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- In a heavy, small saucepan over medium heat on the stove, warm the oil. Add the garlic and stir until aromatic, about 1 minute. Add the vinegar and hot pepper sauce and simmer for 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer the hot sauce to a large glass or stainless steel bowl.
- In a medium bowl combine the dressing ingredients. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Prepare the grill for indirect cooking over medium-high heat (about 450ºF).
- Remove the wings from the bowl and wipe off most of the paste. Brown the wings over direct heat until grill marks appear, about 4 minutes, turning once. Then move the wings over indirect medium-high heat and continue grilling, with the lid closed, until the meat is no longer pink at the bone and the skin is crisp, about 15 minutes, turning occasionally. Transfer the wings to the bowl with the hot sauce; turn to coat. Return the wings to the grill and cook over direct heat for an additional 3 to 5 minutes, turning once or twice. Remove from the grill and serve with the blue cheese dressing.
RELATED GRILL SKILLS